Saturday 18 July 2009

Birthday Gift

Well, I have been busy these last few weeks making gifts for friends, some I can't yet show as they haven't been handed to the recipient yet, but this one is now in the hands of it's new owner... My friend celebrated her 50th birthday this week and I made this little book for her, inspired by Martha Lever. I have always loved collecting quotes, so I picked some of my favourites to share.










The images were painted in watercolour on watercolour paper, some have the addition of PanPastel in the background, and a little stencilling added, others also have some rubber stamping. I then made a little booklet out of dark green paper, and stitched it together, then pasted the watercolour paper on each page. Finally I made two covers using fine brass mesh, which were attached with thread sewn through the eyelets and attached to the sewn binding of the book, and then added some fibres as a finishing touch.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely birthday present... I know your friend loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous project. Love the "beehive" pattern in the background and LOVE the poppies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind comments Elaine and Shirley - the 'beehive' pattern is achieved by using sequin waste (sometimes called Punchinella) as a stencil - sometimes I used PanPastel for this, and othertimes watercolour paint.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback is always appreciated...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin